Seven Tips to Keep the Pool Swim-Ready and Safe All Summer Long
Keep your pool swim-ready and safe all summer long with these swimming pool tips:
- Get prepared for the swim season. Make sure that your pool cleaning equipment like the Solar-Breeze NX2, telescopic pole, vacuum hose, vacuum, and brush are in top-top shape. Stock up on chemicals and purchase a water test kit or test strips. Make sure that water levels are normal for your pool.
- Test the pH and chlorine levels. The optimum pH for pool water is 7.4, which will match the pH of human eyes and give good chlorine disinfection. The chlorine level should stay between 1.0 and 3.0 parts per million (ppm) to maintain a healthy pool. The Solar-Breeze NX2 has a built-in chemical dispenser for easy and consistent sanitation. Test the pool water once or twice each week to maintain normal levels throughout the summer.
- Clean the pool filter. It’s important to keep the filter system clean. Check, clean and replace dirty cartridge filters. Sand filters should be backwashed and cleaned on a regular basis. The Solar-Breeze NX2’s skimmer basket and debris tray should be cleaned out once each week.
- Brush and vacuum the pool. The Solar-Breeze NX2 will keep the pool free of 95% of sunken debris, but the sides of the pool should still be brushed regularly, and the bottom may need to be vacuumed every now and then.
- Identify algae types. There are several types of algae that can form on the side of the pool and turn water green during the summer heat. Check cracks, crevices and uneven surfaces for black and mustard algae, which can look like dirt or sand on the bottom of the pool. Act quickly if you see this occur.
- Clean the pool deck. Hose debris, dirt, food and drink spills, bird droppings, etc. off the pool deck once a week to avoid permanent stains and to allow less debris to move into the pool.
- Establish pool safety rules. The National Drowning Prevention is an excellent resource for pool safety. Check out their safety tips.
Following these guidelines will allow you to enjoy the pool all summer long. Learn more.