At Solar Pool Technologies, we’re all about finding innovative ways to leave the world a better place. As we begin a new year in our office, we’re reminding ourselves of the different ways we can have a more positive impact on the environment as individuals by making some simple changes. We’d love for you to join us!
- Buy a reusable water bottle to carry with you. Americans use approximately 50 billion disposable, plastic water bottles each year. The U.S. recycling rate for plastic is only 23%, which means 38 billion water bottles were trashed last year. Eight glasses of tap water only cost you about $0.49 per year, while buying the same amount of bottled water racks up about $1,400.
- Skip the morning coffee in a paper cup. Take a thermos to work and drink out of your favorite mug. Just one coffee in a disposable cup per day equals about 23 lbs of waste over the course of a year. (You can also start your retirement fund with the money you’ll save!)
- Opt-in for paperless billing and pay your bills online.
- Pass on your used books and magazines to friends and family to enjoy. If you still get the newspaper, donate old papers to an animal shelter. Try out e-subscriptions and e-books as an alternative.
- Add reusable grocery bags to your next tab. At a minimum, return used plastic grocery bags to the designated recycling bin at participating stores.
- Use cloth napkins and dishrags instead of paper napkins and paper towels.
- Got junk in your trunk? Clean out your car and improve fuel efficiency.
- Lastly, did you know your pool pump is the second biggest energy user? What’s the first? Your air conditioning. We’ve all heard how keeping your house a few degrees warmer can save on energy and save you money, but what can you do about the pool pump use? The Solar Breeze NX offers a unique solution to pool owners which not only simplifies the task of pool cleaning, but also drastically cuts energy usage. Since it runs only on solar power and completely independent from the pool pump, most customers cut their pool pump run time up to 2/3.