Summer is almost here! To make sure you’re ready for fun in the sun, here are 10 swimming pool tips to keep your pool safe, clean and swim-ready all summer long.
- Get ready! If your pool has been covered or you haven’t been using it over the winter, you’ll want to gather supplies to kick off pool season. Check out your pool cleaning equipment like telescopic pole, vacuum hose, vacuum, brush, and skimmer (hand skimmer or solar-powered robotic pool skimmer) to make sure it’s all in good shape. You’ll also want to stock up on chemicals and purchase a water test kit or test strips.
- If you use a pool cover for the winter months, you’ll want to remove any accumulated debris from the top of the cover before taking it off. After removing the cover, clean it and make sure it is dry before storing it for the summer.
- Check the water level in the pool and add water to bring it up to normal level.
- Test the pool water or take a sample to your local pool supply store. You’ll want to check pH and chlorine levels and adjust as necessary. Check your pool water once or twice a week throughout the summer.
- Clean your Pool Filter. It’s important to keep your filter system clean. Check, clean and/or replace dirty cartridge filters. Sand filters should be backwashed and cleaned on a regular basis.
- Clean your pool deck. Grab the hose once a week and hose debris, dirt and anything else (food or drink spills, bird poop, etc.) off of your pool deck. Keeping this surface clean can avoid permanent stains and allow less debris to move into the pool.
- Make pool skimming easier and way more effective. Add a Solar-Breeze NX2 to your pool and let the robotic pool skimmer handle any and every mess. It works longer and harder to keep your pool free of debris so you can relax!
- Brush and Vacuum Your Pool. Even with a floating pool skimmer keeping your pool free of most sunken debris, you’ll need to brush the sides of your pool regularly and vacuum the bottom occasionally. Clean out your in-pool skimmer basket and the debris tray in your Solar-Breeze NX2 regularly.
- Learn to identify the different types of algae and act quickly if you see it in your pool. During the heat of summer, there are several types of algae that can form on the sides of your pool or in the water (turning it green). Check cracks, crevices and uneven surfaces for black algae and watch for mustard algae that can look like dirt or sand on the bottom of the pool.
- Establish and stick to pool safety rules. Supervise children at all times and never allow anyone to swim alone.
Follow these swimming pool tips for summer and enjoy your pool! Adding a Solar-Breeze NX2 can make pool ownership more fun while saving time, energy and cutting down on costs. Find out more here.